Emily Horning <email@example.com>
Garlic Steak Sandwiches with Cilantro Salsa
(shamelessly copied from James McNair's Beef Cookbook by James McNair)
Combine the above ingredients and reserve.
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 tbs. fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 tbs. minced or pressed garlic
- 2 tbs. brown sugar
- ground cayenne pepper to taste
Take 1 lb. flank steak, top round or other tender boneless lean beef,
trimmed of all fat and connective tissue, and place it in a flat shallow
dish. Pour the marinade over and turn to coat meat on all sides. Cover
dish with plastic wrap and let stand for 2 hours at room temp., or
preferably, refrigerate overnight.
Chop the garlic in a food processor or blender. Add the cilantro, chili
peppers, olive oil, lime juice, cumin and salt. Blend until fairly smooth.
- 8 to 10 garlic cloves
- 1-1/4 cups coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 fresh jalapeno or other green hot chili peppers, stemmed and seeded
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 1 tbs. lime juice 1 tsp. ground cumin
- salt to taste
Cook the steak, turning once and basting with the marinade, until a meat
thermometer inserted in the center tests done to your preference. Remove
to a cutting surface and thinly slice across the grain at a 45-degree
angle. Spread the toast with the garlic mayonnaise, if desired. Pile beef
slices on the toast and generously drizzle with the salsa. Top with onion
and tomato, if desired.
- 8 slices of sourdough or French bread, lightly toasted
- garlic mayonnaise, thinly sliced red onion, sliced tomato (all optional)
YUM! Serves 4.
This page is maintained by Graham Toal <firstname.lastname@example.org>